The Facts About Immigration Detention
- There are currently 760 people in immigration detention centres, of whom 149 are housed at the Villawood Immigration Detention Centre.
- There are currently 247 people in alternative detention arrangements and community detention.
- Of the 1007 people in immigration detention:
- 159 were detained as a result of compliance action – that is, overstaying their visa or breaching the conditions of their visa or having their visa cancelled
- 67 were unauthorised air arrivals
- 1 was an illegal foreign fisher
- 777 were unauthorised boat arrivals
- 1 was an inadequately documented crew member
- 2 were detained for other reasons (ship deserters; stowaways etc)
- 580 have not applied for a protection visa
- 272 are undergoing a refugee status assessment
- 53 have been refused a protection visa
- 102 have applied for protection visas, or a review of a decision in relation to their application for a protection visa.
- The majority of asylum seekers arrive in Australia with a valid visa and live in the community while they pursue their claims.
- There are no children in immigration detention centres.
Figures as at 03 July 2009.
For more information: www.immi.gov.au/managing-australias-borders/detention/about/index.htm